Your donations helped to acquire and restore key natrual lands between Cootes Paradise and the Niagara Escarpment as part of the Cootes to Escarpment EcoPark System, a collaboration of ten local government and non-profit partner agencies working to create one of Canada’s largest urban EcoParks.
Donations to the Hamilton Conservation Foundation helped make the EcoPark Vision a reality by securing natural lands in the western part of the EcoPark System and restoring lands on the Desjardins Canal in Dundas
- Acquire two parcels of significant natural lands on York Road in Dundas to help connect 1,900 hectares (4,700 acres) of lands already protected by partners in the Cootes to Escarpment EcoPark System.
- Naturally restore the former Veldhuis property on the Desjardins Canal and develop it into Canal Park.
These protected lands now help to:
- Provide habitat and green corridors for over 1,500 species of birds, trees, plants and wildlife.
- Increase opportunities for physical activity in Hamilton, reducing health costs associated with stress, obesity and chronic disease.
- Enhance Hamilton’s economic potential and reputation as a green, eco-friendly place to live, work and play.
Thank you to everyone who helped make this campaign a success! To learn more about the Cootes to Escarpment EcoPark System and further efforts to protect natural lands in the EcoPark area, please click here.